Slow Feed Hay Nets Discovered…..
Reduce the risk of Ulcers, Colic & Choke
– Ulcers – As a horse chews they produce saliva which buffers the acid in the stomach. Feeding hay from a Just Grazin Custom Net® slow feed hay nets means horses take smaller mouthfuls, chew for longer, producing more acid neutralizing saliva.
– Colic & Choke – Using a slow feed hay net means horses can only take small amounts of feed at a time, preventing them from gorging their food. Consumption is slowed therefore greatly reducing the risk of colic and choke.
– Using a Just Grazin Custom Net® slows down the amount of hay consumed per minute, plus our nets mean hay can be on offer free choice 24/7 (if enough hay and nets are supplied) for continuous steady feeding.
– Allowing horses to eat continuously has metabolic and other health benefits. Providing food in just a few meals rather than spread out evenly can result in higher insulin responses to feeding. Horses with metabolic issues (Metabolic Conditions, Cushings, Insulin Resistance, Hypothyroidism & Laminitis) benefit when they can eat small amounts on a continuous basis.
– Horses spend longer consuming their hay with a Just Grazin Custom Net® keeping them occupied throughout the day. This is especially important for horses who are stabled or housed in small yards for long periods of time. Horses grazing from our nets have been noted to be more relaxed and happy, which decreases the chance of horses developing stable vices ie cribbing, weaving etc
– We donated a hay net to a horse who had broken his knee in a freak paddock accident. Due to the severity of the injury he was on strict stable rest, in cross ties, while his leg was in plaster. His owner noticed a big change in his attitude once she started using our slow feed hay net. He became calmer, more settled, taking all day to eat his hay instead of just a couple of hours. While she can no longer compete with him, thankfully he is now paddock sound!
…..”I am loving these Just Grazin Custom Hay Nets – thank you so much. I have one with grassy hay, the other with lucerne, tied next to Dibby who has to remain cross tied in the stable with his leg cast on, and they are fantastic. Instead of just pigging out quickly on his hay and then standing for hours without feed before his next meal, I just load three big biscuits in each (room for more) and he is nibbling away constantly like a horse that is grazing rather than eating fast then having nothing left. There is always hay there for him and they are keeping him entertained as well. Great products and highly recommended!!”….. – Leanne Owens – Horses of Gold.
Less wasted hay
– Tired of your hay being spread around the paddock/stable, trampled and urinated on or simply blown away on those windy days. Using our slow feed hay nets keeps the hay contained reducing waste and saving your money!
Simulates Natural Grazing
– Horses naturally graze approx 18-20hrs a day, unfortunately not everyone has access to large grassy paddocks, or horses who can be on pasture 24/7, due to laminitis etc. “Grazin” from our slow feed hay nets simulates natural grazing, which is beneficial to the horses mental and physical health.
May Improve Posture and Body Imbalance
– Sharon May-Davis “The Bone Lady”, renowned equine anatomist, therapist, biomechanics expert and lecturer, has presented case studies where the “hay-high” technique was used (along with other therapies and treatments) to rehabilitate injured horses. Feeding just one hay net per day, tied at approximately eye to poll height (dependant on each individual horse’s flexibility) encourages horses to stand square and use different postural muscles. A common myth is that horses reaching up to their feed will hollow their backs, however this is not the case. Stretching up and forward utilizes core muscles. Horses will naturally alternate between eating high and then low, picking up fallen hay from ground level. Owners have also reported hoof development improvement, esp with club feet, as well as improved straightness and self carriage. (horses should not graze high for extended periods of time)
Reduce the risk of eye injury
– We’ve all seen our horses (or photos of horses) with their heads buried deep down inside a round bale (apparently the hay always tastes better from the middle of the bale, haha). But this is the prime time for an eye injury, with a piece of hay spiking into your horses eye. Using a Just Grazin Custom Net prevents horses from getting their heads too far into their round bales.
Is your horse a pro at using a slow feeder and you find the traditional 4cm netting is just not quite small enough? Do you have laminitic ponies, own mini’s or do you feed out top quality leafy hay?
3cm x 3cm netting is recommended for those animals who are experienced with using slow feed hay nets or for use with mini’s, goats, sheep etc. They are best used with high quality leafy hay, the type of hay that your horse/animals usually eat fast. Some horses may be frustrated by this size if they aren’t conditioned to using a slow feed hay net, others are happy to graze from the net straight away. Our 3cm netting range is available in 48ply netting Black in colour.
Are you looking for a hay net to slow down consumption? Do you feed good quality hay and want to reduce the waste?
4cm x 4cm netting is the traditional size netting and most common used for slow feeding hay. 4cm is our most popular size netting and is a good general purpose netting size suitable for the majority of hay types. 4cm netting will reduce hay waste as well as slow consumption. All of our 4cm netting is a robust 60ply netting, green in colour.
Sick and tired of your hay being spread around and wasted? Want to slow consumption? 6cm x 6cm netting is ideal for those who mainly want to stop their horses wasting so much hay. 6cm netting does slow consumption to a degree, but not as much as 3cm or 4cm netting. Suited to all types of hay including hay of lower quality & cereal hays. 6cm netting is also a great choice for old or retired horses who you dont want to restrict their forage intake but want to save $ on waste. All of our 6cm netting comes in a robust 60ply netting, black in colour
NOTE: Prior to use, be sure your horses hooves are larger than the size of the netting. 6cm netting is not recommended for foals or mini’s due to their small feet. If using with small footed animals, you must ensure their feet cannot access the net as there is a chance they may become tangled. Please read our FAQ’s for ideas on using slow feed hay nets with shod/small footed animals.
Back in 2015 we increased the size of our nets, they are generous for easy filling.
…”I put the 5×4 net on the round bale by myself!!!! Thank you”… Nik L
…”Super happy with my full bale 6cm, was exactly what I needed and is such a generous size it’s nice and easy to get the bale in. Thankyou”… Nicole B